05 October 2016

St. Alphonsus Liguori: O Bread of Heaven

+


Holy Mass in the Cathedral of the Most Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ, 
City of Westminster, England, 18 September 2010


O Bread of Heaven

Words: St Alphonsus Liguori
Translation: Rev. E. Vaughan C.SS.R.
Music: Tynemouth - H. F. Hemy
Performed by: Westminster Cathedral Choir


O Bread of Heaven, beneath this veil
Thou dost my very God conceal:
My Jesus, dearest treasure, hail!
I love Thee and, adoring, kneel;
Each loving soul by Thee is fed
With Thine own Self in form of Bread.

O food of life, Thou Who dost give
The pledge of immortality;
I live, no 'tis not I that live;
God gives me life, God lives in me:
He feeds my soul, He guides my ways,
And every grief with joy repays.

O Bond of love that dost unite
The servant to his living Lord;
Could I dare live and not requite
Such love - then death were meet reward:
I cannot live unless to prove
Some love for such unmeasured love.

Beloved Lord, in Heaven above
There, Jesus, Thou awaitest me,
To gaze on Thee with endless love;
Yes, thus I hope, thus shall it be:
For how can He deny me Heaven,
Who here on earth Himself hath given?
+