20 January 2016

The Abbess Euphrosinia of St. Elisabeth's, Minsk

+

I had to share this from Abbess Euphrosinia (Laptik) from St. Elisabeth's Convent in Minsk, Belarus.  (The Russian Orthodox community of nuns derive their charism from the religious community  founded by St. Elisabeth the New Martyr.)  The Abbess said:


I had a very illuminating experience not long ago. I learned the Saviour's words, "I was in prison, and ye came unto me. . . I was hungry, and ye gave me meat" (Cf. Matthew 25:35-40) from my own experience. I was driving and I saw a man indicating that he needed a ride. He was visibly drunk. Several cars had driven past him. I stopped and thought, "Wow, I've stopped!" (Laughs) 
Our ride was short. He talked all the time; he almost wept and asked me to pray for him. You know, people often feel inclined to repent after drinking some alcohol, and besides, I was wearing the habit... When he got out of my car, I felt as if it was Jesus who had visited me in such an unfathomable way. The feeling was so vivid! I had never had such an experience, even when I visited the hospital unit. I was so surprised! Even though that person was drunk and talked nonsense… Christ is near, and you spend your life without noticing him.

December 18, 2015

St. Elisabeth the New Martyr
(Grand Princess Elisabeth of Russia)

+