08 May 2007

The Appearing of St. Michael the Archangel

Once upon a time the Eighth of May was the Feast of the Apparition of Saint Michael the Archangel in the whole Latin Church.

THE DIVINE OFFICE: SEXT


Ant. O Michael mine Archangel, * I have made thee prince, to be in charge of the ingathering of souls, alleluia.

Psalm 118. vi. Defecit anima mea

81 My soul fainteth for thy salvation, * but I have hoped in thy word.
82 Mine eyes fail for thy word; * saying, O when wilt thou comfort me?
83 For I am become like a wine-skin in the frost; * yet do I not forget thy statutes.
84 How many are the days of thy servant? * when wilt thou execute judgement on them that persecute me?
85 The wicked have spoken lies unto me, * which are not after thy law.
86 All thy commandments are true: * they persecute me falsely; O be thou my help.
87 They had almost consumed me upon earth; * but I forsook not thy commandments.
88 O quicken me after thy loving-kindness; * and so shall I keep the testimonies of thy mouth.
89 For ever, O Lord * thy word endureth for ever in heaven.
90 Thy truth also remaineth from one generation to another; * thou hast laid the foundation of the earth, and it abideth.
91 The day continueth by thine ordinance; * for all things serve thee.
92 If my delight had not been in thy law, * then perchance I should have perished in mine affliction.
93 I will never forget thy commandments; * for with them thou hast quickened me.
94 I am thine: O save me, * for I have sought thy commandments.
95 The ungodly laid wait for me, to destroy me; * but I considered thy testimonies.
96 I have seen an end of all perfection; * but thy commandment is exceeding broad.

Psalm 118. vii. Quomodo dilexi !

97 Lord, what love have I unto thy law! * all the day long is my meditation therein.
98 Thou, through thy commandments, hast made me wiser than mine enemies; * for they are ever with me.
99 I have more understanding than all my teachers; * for thy testimonies are my meditation.
100 I am wiser than the ancients; * because I keep thy commandments.
101 I have refrained my feet from every evil way, * that I may keep thy word.
102 I have not departed from thy judgments; * for thou teachest me.
103 O how sweet are thy words unto my palate; * yea, sweeter than honey unto my mouth!
104 Through thy commandments I get understanding: * therefore I hate all evil ways.
105 Thy word is a lantern unto my feet, * and a light unto my paths.
106 I have sworn, and am stedfastly purposed, * to keep thy righteous judgments.
107 I am troubled above measure, O Lord: * quicken thou me, according to thy word.
108 Accept, I beseech thee, the free-will offerings of my mouth, O Lord; * and teach me thy judgments.
109 My soul is alway in mine hand; * yet do I not forget thy law.
110 The ungodly have laid a snare for me; * but yet I swerved not from thy commandments.
111 Thy testimonies have I claimed as an heritage for ever; * for they are the rejoicing of mine heart.
112 I have inclined mine heart to perform thy statutes alway, * because of the reward.

Psalm 118. viii. Iniquos odio habui

113 I hate the unrighteous; * but thy law do I love.
114 Thou art my helper and protector; * and my trust is in thy word.
115 Away from me, ye wicked; * and I will keep the commandments of my God.
116 O stablish me according to thy word, that I may live; * and let me not be disappointed of mine hope.
117 Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe; * yea, I will ever have respect unto thy statutes.
118 Thou hast trodden down all them that depart from thy statutes; * for they imagine but deceit.
119 I hold all the ungodly of the earth as liars; * therefore I love thy testimonies.
120 Make thou my flesh to tremble for fear of thee; * for I am afraid of thy judgments.
121 I have done judgement and justice; * O give me not over unto mine oppressors.
122 Uphold thy servant unto good, * that the proud oppress me not.
123 Mine eyes are wasted away for thy salvation, * and for the word of thy righteousness.
124 O deal with thy servant according unto thy loving mercy, * and teach me thy statutes.
125 I am thy servant; * O grant me understanding, that I may know thy testimonies.
126 It is time for thee, Lord, to lay to thine hand; * for they have destroyed thy law.
127 For I love thy commandments * above gold and the topaz stone.
128 Therefore was I directed to all thy commandments; * and all false ways I utterly abhor.

Ant. O Michael mine Archangel, * I have made thee prince, to be in charge of the ingathering of souls, alleluia.

The Chapter Apoc. 5. 11-12.

I heard the voice of many Angels round about the throne and the living creatures and the Elders: and the number of them was thousands of thousands; saying with a loud voice: Salvation to our God.

R. Thanks be to God.

V. The smoke of the incense ascended up before God, * Alleluia, alleluia.
R. The smoke of the incense ascended up before God, * Alleluia, alleluia.
V. Out of the Angel's hand.
R. Alleluia, alleluia.
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
R. The smoke of the incense ascended up before God, * Alleluia, alleluia.

V. Even before the Angels will I sing praise unto thee, my God, alleluia.
R. I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy Name, alleluia.

V. The Lord be with you.
R. And with thy spirit.

COLLECT OF THE DAY

Oremus.
Deus, qui, miro ordine, Angelórum ministeria hominúmque dispensas : concéde propítius ; ut, a quibus tibi ministrántibus in cælo semper assistitur, ab his in terra vita nostra muniátur. Per Dóminum.

The Anglican rendering of this collect:

O everlasting God, who hast ordained and constituted the ministries of angels and men in a wonderful order: Mercifully grant that, as thy holy angels always serve and worship thee in heaven, so by thy appointment they may help and defend us on earth; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


Pictured above:
St. Michael the Archangel Window
Trinity Episcopal Church, Galveston Island, Texas
(St. Michael, St. Gabriel, St. Raphael & St. George)